Friday 3 July 2015

Father and Child


'Lord? You waken me. Is that you? Or I am to suffer, forever alone?'
                'It is I.'
                'Why did you leave me? You were here, and then, you were gone. Who are you, Lord?'
                'I never left, child. I am thy father.'
                'Father? What place is this? How did I come to be here? I have no memory.'
                'A place where thou hast not left, nor yet arrived, mine child.'
                'I make no sense of your words, Father.'
                'All will become clear in time, daughter.'
                'Father, the pain? I have wept an eternity and now my eyes are dry. I weep dry tears.'
                'As is the beauty of time, my child, for only it can heal, but in your case, I fear not.'
                'But yet, I weep still. The pain, Father. I know not what causes my marrow to putrefy; it's poison pollutes my bones, makes an enemy of my blood, turning it against my flesh, which falls from me like rotted meat a carcass.'
                'Mine hands will be the balm to thy pain, mine child. But they will bring no comfort to thy mind.'
                'My mind?'
                'Thy body, I can heal. But the poison in thy mind must be released by thyself. Take mine hands in thine. Together we will set it free.'
                'I cannot see your hands, Father. I am blinded by smoke — cataracted. I see nothing but shadows; shadows that stretch and unfurl like fearsome dragon wings beating towards the dying sun.'
                'Take mine hands, child. I shall wipe the fumes from thine eyes.'
                'Father, I fear what I may see.'
                'It can harm no more, in this place, where thou hast not left, nor yet arrived.'
                'Father, such comfort your touch brings ... but no... No...NO! I am choking! What I see, when the smoke clears, I cannot bear! Is this why I am here?'
                'Child. Look.'
                'I cannot look! Pray, blind me forever! Such mindless destruction, I have no wish to see. Breathe my air, Father; it is toxic, the fat of my land, rancid. Drink of my rivers, Father! You cannot! They run with filth, my seas bleed into the land. MY ICE MELTS. My trees, Father, my lifeblood... I can bear no more. I wish to ARRIVE. At the place I have not yet arrived! I beg you.'
                'Daughter, Mother Earth, thou hast suffered much. Thou hast endured torture worse than the pits of Beelzebub's hell. And now thou must arise. Take strength from thy Father.'
                'And do what, Father?'

                'And reek thy revenge, mine child, mine divine Avenging Angel.'

No comments:

Post a Comment